Shrink wrap is 100% recyclable because it is 100% virgin resin. Our environmental policy can be summed up using the 4R’s: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, and Reinvest.
Our reduction strategy is to simply do more with fewer resources with examples including:
- Carefully sizing each project so that the proper thickness and width of the wrap fits as closely as possible to reduce waste
- Carefully applying the wrap to minimize seams and the need for tape
- Replacing incandescent lights with LED
- Using USB or SD flash drives instead of CD’s and DVD’s to transport and store data means we use this medium less often
- Preference for duplex printing, if electronic versions don’t suffice
- We produce and distribute ebrochures, quotes, and plans electronically to minimize printing
- eBilling to save paper
- Purchasing Energy Star compliant equipment when possible and seeking RoHS-compliant equipment meaning the product has been engineered to minimize or avoid the use of hazardous materials in its manufacture
- Local sourcing of equipment and technicians to minimize commute time
- Maintain a rigorous vehicle maintenance program to ensure that trucks are operating efficiently including fluid checks, tire pressure, etc.
Where possible we reuse and repair products to extend their useful life and in addition:
- We source and reuse shrink wrap supplies where applicable
- We have an aggressive maintenance program to extend the useful life of equipment
- We ensure compliance with all environmental laws and regulations, together with our partners
As a last resort we make every attempt to recycle items that we otherwise cannot manage to avoid reducing or reusing, notably including:
- Implemented the “Blue Box” program for pulling recyclables out of the waste stream
- We take retired assets to metal yards and scrap dealers taking care to ensure none of it enters a landfill
- We recycle shrink wrap, wood, pallets, etc.
This is Atomic Wrap’s way of stimulating fledgling companies that are trying to create new markets for their product/service.
- Even though it is sometimes cheaper to purchase offshore, our policy is to invest in North American business because of their strict adherence to environmental and safety standards
Some of the things we do are:
- Paper products in our facilities (including fine paper, computer paper, tissues, toilet paper and paper towels) have recycled content and are preferably unbleached with a minimal % of post-consumer recycled fibre
- We recycle used batteries and printer cartridges